This is a fun mash-up to two favorite sweet treats! S'mores and Rice Krispies Treats. Bring this dessert to your next family gathering and even the adults will smile with joy.
I created this recipe for a Young Chefs cooking class I recently taught at The Seasoned Farmhouse. The kids loved making it and eating it! The recipe starts with the standard Rice Krispies Treats process, but added to the cereal mix is a full pack of graham crackers broken into small bits. Of course, chocolate and marshmallows are added to complete the full S'mores flavor. Adding rainbow sprinkles makes any day a party.
Rainbow S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
What you will need:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
8-ounces large marshmallows
1 pack graham crackers (from a 14.4-ounce box containing 3 packs)
5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup mini chocolate chips
½ cup rainbow sprinkles
How to make it:
1. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan by lightly spraying it with baking spray. Break the graham crackers into ½-inch pieces placing them into a small bowl, set aside. Measure out all the remaining ingredients, setting them aside.
2. In a large, deep saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the large marshmallows, stirring frequently until melted. Remove from the heat to a work surface.
3. Stir in the Rice Krispies cereal and the graham cracker pieces. Transfer half of the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Use a small piece of wax paper to spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
4. Sprinkle half of the toppings, mini marshmallows (1-cup), mini chocolate chips (1/2-cup), and half of the rainbow sprinkles (1/4-cup) spreading evenly over the top. Press lightly into the cereal mixture.
5. Transfer the remaining cereal mixture over the toppings, again spreading evenly to cover the first layer of toppings. Sprinkle the remaining toppings over the cereal mixture, pressing them into the top.
6. Cool for 5-10 minutes until fully set. Cut into large squares and enjoy.